Service to the University
- University Data and Research Oversight Committee (2008-present)
- International Education Award Selection Committee (2013-2014)
- Summer Diversity Institute Planning Committee (2013 – 2014)
- University Faculty Academic Policies and Standards Committee (2011-2013)
- College of Education Review Committee (2011 – 2013)
- College of Education Internationalization Committee (2007-2009 & 2010-2012)
- Faculty Research Grants Committee, UNC -Charlotte (2005-2007 &2009-2011).
- Academy of Qualitative Research Board, UNC Charlotte (2006 – 2012).
- Faculty Competitive Grants Committee (Representative), UNC-Charlotte (2008 – 2010).
- College of Education Diversity Committee (2008 – 2011).
- Faculty Curriculum/Instructional Development Grants Committee, UNC – Charlotte (2006 – 2008).
- University Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Research with Human Subjects (2005 – 2008).
- College Annual Faculty Research Award Committee, UNC Charlotte (2007-2008)
- College Annual teaching Award Committee, UNC Charlotte (2006 – 2008)
- Unit Governance and Resources subcommittee of the Committee for Accreditation/Continuous Improvement, UNC Charlotte (2007 – 2008)
- Professional Education Council, UNC – Charlotte (2006 – 2007).
- College Social Committee (Member), UNC – Charlotte (2004-2005).
- Department Search Committee (2005-2006)
- School of Teaching and Learning Graduate Studies Committee (Student Representative), The Ohio State University (2001 – 2003).
Service to the Profession
- Editor of the Journal of Applied Educational and Policy Research (2014 – present).
- Editorial Board Member and Consulting Editor of Journal of Special Education (2006 – present).
- Executive Peer-reviewer of Educational Technology & Society Journal (2009 – present).
- Editorial Board member of Multicultural Learning and Teaching (2006 – present).
- Editor-in-Chief of the New Waves – Educational Research & Development Journal (2007 – 2009).
- Co-editor of the Teacher Education Interest Section (TEIS) Newsletter of the association of TESOL (2003 – 2006).
Professional leadership positions
- Membership Director of the Chinese American Educational Research and Development Association (2010 – present).
- Chair (2019), Roundtable Session: Understanding Language Use and Language Learning in Second Language Acquisition Classrooms. AERA,Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Chair (2019), Roundtable Session: Shifting Partnerships and Priorities for Organizing. AERA, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- President of the Chinese American Educational Research and Development Association (2008 – 2010).
- Vice-President of the Chinese American Educational Research andDevelopment Association (2007 – 2008).
- Board member of the Collaborative Innovation Center of Assessment toward Basic Education Quality, Beijing, China.
- Program evaluator for two grants from the US Department of Education.
- Program evaluator for three grants from National Science Foundation.
- Program evaluator for three Math Science Partnership (MSP) grants funded by North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- Program evaluator for one Math Science Partnership (MSP) grants funded by South Department of Education.
- Program evaluator for Charlotte Teachers Institute, Charlotte, NC.
- Program evaluator for South by South project, Charlotte, NC.
- Program evaluator for Reading Recovery, Columbus, OH.
- Provided consultation for textbook evaluation to the Central Office of Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, Charlotte, NC.
Service to the Community and Practitioners
Community leadership positions
- Co-convener of the Diversity Gathering: A special project at 2004 TESOL convention in Long Beach.
Community workshops and talks
- Provided statistical advice to mathematics teachers at North Carolina at a workshop sponsored by the Center of Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education at UNC – Charlotte.
- Invited paper presentation for 2005 ESL Symposium sponsored by the North Carolina State University ESL program
- Offered the Post-Presentation Discussions for attendees at TESOL 2005 convention.
- Organized the discussion group for ESL classroom teachers who plan to do research in their own classrooms.
- Served as a panel member for a seminar about research/dissertation process.
- Interpreted for the Office of International Programs at UNC – Charlotte for visitors from China.
- Panel member of 2007 College of Education Doctoral Research Forum at UNC Charlotte.
- Presentation at the Curriculum and Instruction Doctoral Seminar at UNC Charlotte entitled “Organizing for Success in the Doctoral Program and Beyond” on November 17, 2007.